Web marketing refers to a broad category of advertising that takes many different forms, but generally involves any marketing activity conducted online. The web also presents exciting new opportunities for companies to profile their customers. The interactive space of the Internet simplifies a company's ability to track, store, and analyze data about a customer's demographics, personal preferences, and online behavior. This data allows the advertiser to provide a more personalized and relevant ad experience for the customer.
Types of Web Marketing
- Display Advertising – The use of banner ads and other graphical advertisements to market products online.
- Search Engine Marketing – Using search engines to help connect users with the products and services they are most interested in. Companies can pay to receive preferential ranking in a list of search results.
- Search Engine Optimization – A free and organic way for companies to improve their visibility on search engines.
- Social Media Marketing – Using sites like Facebook and Twitter to connect with customers.
- Email Marketing – Communicating with customers through the use of carefully designed emails.
- Referral Marketing – Using internet channels to encourage consumers to recommend products to their friends and families.
- Affiliate Marketing – Working with other businesses to make it easier for consumers to shop for products online.
- Inbound Marketing – Boosting the value of a company's web presence by adding unique content like blogs, games, and tutorial videos.
- Video Marketing – Using web videos for promotional purposes.